Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Myna birds

Nick and Lynn and the boys arrived at the manse at about 10 am. Nick and Graeme went to the study to discuss church matters. Lynn went to see a friend. The boys watched DVD's ("Popeye" and then "Never Ending Story"). I went to the shops to buy bread for a picnic lunch later on. I experienced the scramble when the bread appears in the shop after being baked - one minute the bread is on the shelves; the next, the shelves are empty and there is a queue of people waiting to cut their bread in the slicing machine!

We went to Rosemary's plain to eat our sandwiches, and came back via a different route. It amazes me how the scenery can change within such short distances - arid and dry one minute, then lush and green the next. Back to the manse. Graeme played a flaminco guitar CD for Nick to listen to. After the Clevelys left, Graeme went for a little ride on his bike, and I went upstairs to rest my feet and check emails. While siiting on the bed, I heard my myna friends chirping. It sounded very close - like they were in the next room. They were!!

We leave the front door open when we are at home, and the cheeky things had happily wandered in at the front door, walked down the passage and up the stairs. Now the fun started! They were scared and were pooping all over the place - flying from room to room - while I was opening windows and trying to shoo them in the direction of the nearest open window. Graeme arrived home again, just as I finally coaxed the last bird out of the study window. Now I had to clean up myna poop...

2 comments:

  1. Nothing says 'welcome to Saint Helena' like Myna poop!
    An official 'hello!' Hazel! Thank you so much for blogging. We will certainly enjoy your posts and the continued connection to the island that they provide.
    Hope you are settling in and getting used to things.

    ReplyDelete