Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Services

Sandy Bay Chapel service at 8.45am. The most narrow, windy road I have ever travelled on. I counted 39 hair pin bends on a 3 mile stretch of road! 10 mins before the service starts, they ring the bell for a full 5 mins – a call to worship that rings out over the fields. Then there is a 5 min pause, and the service begins. This happens at all 4 chapels. I love it!!

The Governor and his wife tend to worship at this chapel, She played the organ, with Graeme on the trumpet, and in the pulpit. There were a number of tearful good-byes after the service, as this was the Clevelys last Sunday on the island.


Off to Head O’Wain chapel for a 10.45am service. See pic of this chapel’s bell.


See photo of Edie, who turned 90 last week. She is still active and quite a character.



After the morning services, we had a music afternoon with Nick and Lynn, Wilma and Vincent, Graeme and I. (Pic of Vincent playing his mandolin)


I was the only one not playing an instrument. Good music and joyful singing – even the resident myna bird joined in from the gate post just outside our open front door. Evening service at 7.00pm in Jamestown. It was strange to listen to the same sermon 3 times in a row. Graeme said that it is not easy to preach the same sermon so quickly after the last. It can feel a little flat. I thought he did well.

2 comments:

  1. Just after starting to drive on the island I made this trip - from our house in Piccolo to Sandy Bay. I had decided if I could manage THAT road, I could manage all the other roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Genevieve. I have only drivenup and down Market Street so far. I still wear my seat belt, and I let Graeme drive the scary roads. One day... when I feel reckless... I will conquer the Sandy Bay twist.

    ReplyDelete