Thursday, December 31, 2009

Old Year's Day

8.30am Visited our “girls”. This time they paid attention to us . See photo of them in their cage, before they are let out into the enclosure. (We have to wear overalls when entering the enclosure, which we then remove and leave in a cupboard, ready to don at the next visit. We also have to dip our shoes in jeyes fluid before and after leaving the enclosure)

A pose with Graeme (Abi caught in the middle of a yawn).
Abi about to fetch a treat from Graeme’s mouth.
Did some shopping. The shops were open on Tues, then again today, and will only reopen again on Monday 4th Jan. See the fruit and vegetable racks in one of the main grocery stores. It will only improve on about the 7th or 8th Jan, after the cargo has been unloaded from the RMS, which is due to dock on 6th Jan.
Spent the afternoon sorting Graeme's National Geographics into chronological order (about 30 years’ worth of magazines)
Later, while working in the kitchen, I heard a noise at the back door. I could hardly believe my eyes. Now I have a cat inviting itself into our home!! A grey and white, pretty little thing with light green eyes that look like someone has outlined them with a kohl pencil. I tried closing the back door on it, but it knocked on the door, trying to get in! I know I am going to regret it, but I gave it a bowl of bread soaked in left over gravy. (I am sure I have a sign saying “sucker” on my forehead) After finishing the food, the cat went and sat on the wall where the myna birds usually perch. The birds came screeching at it, to try and chase it away. I wonder who will win the right to sit on that particular spot of garden wall...

Later in the evening Vince and Vilma came over and had supper with us. (Liver and onions, mash and peas.... we like liver and onions) We chatted while waiting for 11.30pm, when the watchnight service was due to begin. Once again, I enjoyed the sound of the church bell ringing out the call to worship – something that has been stopped in SA.

To all who read this blog, I wish you a BLESSED 2010.

4 comments:

  1. A blessed 2010 to you and yours too Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Hazie, I have a bit more time now to comment about your blog. Your dogs are so cute. No wonder you couldn't leave them behind. Looking at the food on the shelves has made me aware of the excess we live with here. My gosh I wish I could translate some of the fruit and veg to you there. Keep up the good work on the blog Hazel and Graeme - the photos are so lovely to keep me feeling close to your life there. Tom and I went for a walk at Emmerentia Botanical gardens yesterday. Made some sandwiches - cheese tomato and lettuce and ate them there among the beautiful roses. The weather was hot, hot, hot and thunder and lightning to scare the pants off us later in the day. The lightning put off our lights and we were in the dark for a while. Thats all for now. Lots of love and may all your good desires come to being in 2010

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks my friend for your responses. They help in keeping me feeling "connected".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a sad and familiar tale of those empty shelves at the Star! Not long now until the ship comes from the Cape though...hang in there. By the way, you can get onion blocks at Victoria's, which you crumble into your pot five minutes before serving. They won't have the same nutritional value as onions, but will at least add flavour! (At least, they had them shortly before we left - they might still be in stock if you hurry :-) )

    ReplyDelete